Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Tim Blakeney Update



And update from Tim's brother, Scott.


It was an interesting weekend to say the least. My family and I were able to spend the weekend in Spartanburg, my parents drove down from Chicago, and my sister flew in with her daughter from Detroit. As many of you know Tim and Bonnie had just moved into this new place from Tryon the weekend before and so had many of their things still in boxes and furniture to be put together. We were able to at least make a dent in the unpacking and get things a little organized for them.
Overall things are going well with all things considered. Tim is still in a good bit of pain but is using Advil and Icy Hot to alleviate it. We also were able to speak with the lady who gave Tim CPR on the field right after the strike. As it turned out Tim had a seizure after the strike and had stopped breathing. It is very likely that her quick response saved Tim’s life that day.
The funeral for Alex also took place over the weekend and was an encouraging time for Tim and Bonnie. I was not able to attend but Tim said that it was a service which helped and did not hinder with the emphasis placed not on man but on God. The loss
of Alex is something that will affect the entire school and will make returning to school difficult.

Please pray for Tim as he will have to not only deal with his feelings but also help with the feelings of the students as well. Also just for mental fortitude when it comes to soccer games and practices, he said it is easy to know what to do when you see lightning and hear thunder, but what do you do on days when it is blue sky and clear as it was the day he and Alex were struck.
It is amazing to see friends and family rise up to help out when the need is there. Thank you all for your help and sacrifice over the past week. I’ll leave you with one of the passages referenced at the funeral:

John 11:21-27
Martha then said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.
"Even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You."
Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,
and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
She said to Him, "Yes, Lord; I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the world."

--Scott

2 comments:

Michael Riley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

OMG, I am soooo glad to hear that Tim is doing well. My mother failed to mention what had happened and I heard from Jackie, My prayers are with you all, Christy